URR Finale Update XV

November 22, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

More progress this week! URR in Python 2.7: my team is trying to get it working, but it’s proving tricky. The combination of an out-of-date Python, an out-of-date version of (lib)tcod, and an out-of-date compiler… is, unsurprisingly, a challenge. But they’re trying it, and I’m amazingly grateful. URR in Python 3: in more promising news, … Read More

URR Finale Update XIV

November 15, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

This week has been less full than last week so I’ve been able to devote a lot of time to getting URR ready. I am now pursuing two paths, and I’ve made progress on both. Whichever one works out first will be the one I use to release URR 0.8. OPTION ONE: Get it working in … Read More

URR Finale Update XIII

November 8, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

Not much to report this week, I’m afraid. It has been another extremely busy week of term work-wise (working on a huge grant and beginning to mark student submissions from the class I’m teaching), but I’ve found a little bit of time to continue trying to get the finished URR 0.8 packaged. Right now there … Read More

URR Finale Update XII

November 1, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

Hello everyone! So, this week’s headline: incredibly busy week of work that unfortunately consumed my weekday evenings as well as my weekday days, but I spent the weekend attempting to fix the compiling-to-exe problem – although sadly without success. However, thanks to some great comments on the previous entry which I’ve since followed up with … Read More

URR Finale Update XI

October 25, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

Good news! Lots more bug-fixes this week, and I now cannot find a crash bug anywhere! I’ve spent many, many hours this week doing everything I can think of doing within the game world, and it has been a long time now since I’ve run into a bug from talking to people, moving around, looking … Read More

URR Finale Update X

October 18, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

Hello everyone! This week turned into something far busier than I expected with work, but I have not stopped pushing 0.8 to completion. I’ve cleared out a bunch of other serious bugs I’ve found this week, including that bug I mentioned last time where the game appears to have frozen during world generation (but actually hasn’t), … Read More

URR Week Finale

October 11, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

Welcome back everyone! Thank you all for the kind words in the previous blog posts this week; just like the previous week I dedicated to URR a month or two ago, it has been tremendously rewarding (and productive!) to do the same this time around. These last few days have continued to clear out the … Read More

URR Week: Breakthrough!

October 8, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

BREAKTHROUGH! I have found most of the remaining memory leakage, and I have got the total memory leakage down from [200mb+ every single time you reload] to only [100mb once the first time you reload], and that’s it (and this only happens if you exit your current save and then reload the same save). This … Read More

URR Week Continues Well

October 7, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum, Updates

The last three days have been very productive! Here’s what I’ve done: Monday: Having identified what I thought was the entire source of memory leakage (global values brought out of save files and then not appropriately deleted when you save, reload, quit, etc) I have managed to get all of these to clear themselves out. This … Read More

URR Week Starts Well!

October 4, 2020Game Design, Ultima Ratio Regum

Hello all – this is just a short blog post to announce that I’ve cleared out my major pieces of work for last week (and indeed made good progress on work for next week!) and now my attempt to get URR 0.8 finished the coming nine days begins. As mentioned before, I’m not on leave, … Read More