More progress this week!
URR in Python 2.7: my team is trying to get it working, but it’s proving tricky. The combination of an out-of-date Python, an out-of-date version of (lib)tcod, and an out-of-date compiler… is, unsurprisingly, a challenge. But they’re trying it, and I’m amazingly grateful.
URR in Python 3: in more promising news, I have finished the conversion! It took a long while, as a lot had changed (both in Python and in roguelike library tcod) since the versions I was using. The majority of it I figured out myself but a particular shout-out must go to HexDecimal for helping me out with the tcod changes I just wasn’t able to get to the bottom of under my own steam. As far as I can tell URR 0.8 now works perfectly in Python 3 and I cannot find any bugs, glitches, or weird things going on. A lot of it also runs a lot faster, so that’s a nice side benefit! One or two bits however are slightly slower, but I don’t think will be a horrendous challenge to sort out – this is another thing I’m working on.
So finishing the conversion to Python 3 did take up all of this week, but it’s now done! And this week I have really cleared out the coming week as well work-wise, since I’ve submitted a major grant, done all the marking I need to do right now, submitted a paper, and cleared out a bunch of other jobs, thereby freeing up the coming evenings. This week I’ll therefore be working on compiling URR 0.8 in Python 3 using PyInstaller, auto-py-to-exe, cx_Freeze – or simply whatever works. (And fixing the few slight slowdown issues I’m finding). Given that I’m now using an up-to-date Python, and tcod, and compiling libraries – I’m optimistic.
More next Sunday!
Awesome news! Can’t wait to play the new version.
Honestly, since it sounds like the Python3 conversion is going great, I’d ask the team do QA on that version instead of wasting any more time on Python 2.x version.
P.S. I have a semi-ongoing Python/libtcod project, initially I was downloading, extracting & importing libtcod from , but later started using the Python port via pip install instead. Something to think about if not already going that route. 🙂
Thanks Josh! Yeah, I’ve done that now; sent a few people the 3.7 version instead of the 2.7 version and things are looking POTENTIALLY PROMISING on that front…!
Wow, great job! Sounds like you had a few days of quite intensive coding. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Thanks crowbar! Yeah, it has been a serious few weeks of coding.