Lots more bug-fixes this week, and I now cannot find a crash bug anywhere! I’ve spent many, many hours this week doing everything I can think of doing within the game world, and it has been a long time now since I’ve run into a bug from talking to people, moving around, looking at things, saving/loading areas, generating the world, etc. This means a bunch more bugs have been fixed. Specifically:
- Fixed a crash bug where taverns in far-off lands were unable to correctly list appropriate the drinks they have for sale.
- Fixed a bug in some churches where a single tile of wall would not generate where it should, and thus you were able to wander outside of the church’s map and into the unknowable void beyond the map itself…
- Fixed a major new bug I discovered where moving out of an area that contains NPCs (e.g. a town or a city) into an area of the wilderness would almost immediately produce a crash, because the game was still trying to handle the NPCs in the previous map grid. This has now been resolved, and you should be able to wander around the wilderness to your heart’s content (although given that nothing new in this version is in the wilderness, I probably wouldn’t recommend it).
- Fixed a freeze bug involving the game being unable to place a city for a particular feudal civilization during world generation.
- Fixed – again, and I think for good this time – the problem with monasteries spawning in strange places, such as in the middle of cities, and then being completely inaccessible because no city gates lead to them and the monks are thus forever trapped and cut-off from the outside world, impossible to observe. (If a monk reads a book but nobody sees it happen, was anything learned?).
- Something weird is going on with picking up and dropping objects not working correctly and not registering the movement of the items, but since the only things right now to pick up and drop are clothes – and I don’t anticipate the player doing this – I’ve just disabled pickup/drop commands for the time being.
- Fixed another sort-of freeze bug where things would go a bit peculiar when you were trying to examine an item of clothing in particular circumstances.
- Fixed a crash bug involving discussing religious artefacts with certain priests who weren’t able to figure out whether or not they kept any in their religious buildings.
- Fixed a crash bug with moving in and out of a dock in a town in a way the game wasn’t sure how to handle.
- Fixed a sort-of freeze bug with the player being unable to leave a building if NPCs in and outside that building had a particular spatial distribution that blocked all possible routes.
However: bad news :(.
It turns out the Windows 10 fix I thought I’d found… is only working on my Win 10 system. I’ve sent it to a few people with Win 10 computers (some of whom even have Python installed) and none of them can get it working. This must have something to do with some stuff that needs to be packaged with the download not being packaged with the download; this is a real pain as there’s no obvious error log which tells me what’s missing.
So it seems this is what it comes down to – the final hurdle. Let me stress at this point how far we’ve come in this last month or so: as of today’s update, I am calling 0.8 done! Everything works and nothing crashes. I just need to figure out what the problem is preventing the executable – which works completely fine on my Win 10 laptop – from consistently booting up on Windows 10 machines. I’m going to try a bunch of other bundling options with some other files included in the package which I wasn’t previously putting in there, and then if that doesn’t work, I’ll shift from py2exe to PyInstaller and try that instead (since apparently PyInstaller is better with 2.7?), but I do find these technical / hardware elements of programming very challenging compared to the actual game development stuff.
I’ll get onto this in the next week, and hopefully this’ll fix the issue – but I don’t know how challenging a problem this is going to be. This next week is also likely to be a very busy one for me in evenings as well as in the day, as a major grant deadline is coming up I have to prioritise – but I promised weekly updates until release, and you’ll see another update next weekend no matter what. So: more soon!